Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Okay...

I was cranky! I am big enough to admit it. Travel and lack of sleep will tend to do that. But a couple of days riding and it's all rainbows and unicorns.

We finished up the product training portion of the week here is California, and yes Specialized makes some awesome product nothing earth shattering there, but.. I am amazed every time I have the opportunity to hear about what goes into every product they make - these guys do their homework and don't mess around! There is a ton of technology and solid research that goes into what they bring to market. Specialized does not simply follow trends and make "me too" product these guys oooze passion and it shows, not just the "PRO" culture that is everywhere these days but passion for all things bicycle - kids bikes, commuters, and just plain ole' bike ridin' - do I like everything they make - nope but I have mad respect for them.

The fit portion of the class started today - lots of information to absorb! I need some test bodies when I get back in town, any volunteers? I really like the way that Specialized approaches the fit process, it's is very similar to how Barnett teaches mechanics, it's very procedural oriented. One step leads into the next in a very logical and efficient manner, this not only makes it easier for the fitter to be consistent in technique it also give the customer a very professional experience that is detailed and thorough.

Rode outside today, it was nice.

Random - Disc brakes on cross bikes? It's the off season and the debate has popped again. It appears the UCI is rewriting the rules that apply to this issue. No thanks I like my cross bikes just the way they are. There is no reason why a rule can not exist solely to protect the heritage of a sport. When you begin to allow a cross bikes to morph into skinny wheeled 29ers then you begin to erode the very essence of what make cross racing so special. Disc brakes would change the course design even more than the current UCI trends - into to something more of a MTB short track. Part of the mystic of Cross is the technique involved - the ability to corner, dismount, and maintain your momentum, it's also the equipment it makes the bike different and by different I mean special.

Ahhh bikes so many ones to love.

enjoy the ride...


2 comments:

karl's jr. said...

does my new cross frame come with a custom fit session?

eforendo said...

whatever karl wants karl gets.