Friday, September 5, 2008

Mmmm brakes...


So I posted a couple of days ago about these making me feel fast, well they do, but more importantly they are AWESOME. The TRP Euro X Mag brake is well worth breaking open the piggy bank. They are a breeze to set up thanks to the improved Inplace adjustable brake posts and the integrated barrel adjuster. You can see the adjuster and if you look at the end of the brake post you can see a fitting for a 4mm hex wrench to adjust the toe in on the pads. That trick little adjuster solves one of the largest complaints with this style of brake, no need to lug out the adjustable wrench and bend your brake arms.

So beyond the "White Sex" good looks and blinging Gold accents, these brakes are the real deal. Great modulation, more than enough power for a cross brake, mud clearance, and an easy set up - " If you have the means I highly recommend picking some up." Yes they are expensive and yes they are only brakes but come on you know you have $2000+ carbon wheels for cross whats a couple of bills for some HOT brakes?

So how do they compare. I had some Pauls Neo-Retros/Touring Cantis they were nice but I didn't blink at selling them off, they were a little bit finicky in setting up and I personally never liked the CNC look. Last year both bikes had the IRD CAFAMs, nice brakes, good power, okay mud clearance, functional but not exciting. (I still have a set on the B bike - until I can sell some plasma for another set of TRPs)

But in the end when your covered in mud and all smiles does it really matter? I just wish the season would start so I could stop spending money on my upgradeitis.

...ride what makes you happy.

1 comment:

CurbDestroyer Chronicles said...

I'm going with the Fakes if I can't get some Mafacs . . . Yea that's right

http://www.velo-orange.com/grcabr.html