Sunday, May 11, 2008

Where does it go...

Time it just slips away. Busy times at the shop last week. Set up our new video capture fit system, I'll post some more info as soon as I have had more than a couple hours of time with the new system, and one of the biggest events of the year for the shop was this weekend. So family, riding, work and sleep left very little time for anything else.

Luckily for me it was demo days at the shop and I was able to get out on two of the three bikes that I have been very keen on riding. So here it is....



V.

Friday and Saturday I went out on the Bianchi 928 Carbon T-Cube. Sunday was the Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2.

The Bianchi was a stock Dura Ace configuration with Mavic Ksyrium Sl wheels and FSA K-Force light cranks (I have some thoughts on the crankset that I will address in a future post), and Deda providing the bar, stem and seatpost. I have to say a Bianchi without Campagnolo is just somehow wrong, but this bike is still a looker. The official weigh with one carbon cage and no pedals - 7.15 kg, for the metric challenged 15.76 lbs not bad out of the box. All I can say is this bike is Italian craftsmanship at it's finest, Bianchi knocked it out with the two color options. The white on carbon is oh so hot right know, but still timeless, and Bianchi pulls it off well, while the classic Celeste on carbon keeps the Bianchi tradition alive.

Friday was a gentle ride with the Boss to run an errand. Some rollers and really crappy Milwaukee county roads. The bike took some of the harshness from the expansion seams and endless potholes, but I could still feel the hit. I personally attribute some of this to the Kysriums which are notoriously stiff. Italian greyhound came to mind while riding the 928, it begged for speed and changed course with the ease. Saturday I took it out for a little more of a beating. Once again this bike just asked for more. The 928 Carbon is a bike that likes to be ridden at speed and that is where it really shines. Get this bike up to tempo and it just glides over the tarmac, with the gentlest of nudges on the bars the 928 will go where you will it. That is not to say that this bike is twitchy or unstable it posses an interesting mix of razor sharp handling and stability I find rare in a bike.

Sunday I wanted to get the Specialized Tarmac SL2 S-Works out for a long ride, but Mother Nature had other plans. High winds, cold temps, and rain kept the ride a little shorter than I wanted, but I have spent some time on the other generations of Tarmacs and really wanted to see how the SL2 compared. Smooth right out of the garage, for a "race" bike the Tarmac has compliance in spades. It doesn't hurt the the Tarmac SL2 come stock with Specialized Roval carbon clincher wheels (rims provided by Reynolds, hubs by DT Swiss) which definitely add to the feel. Expansion seams. potholes, etc. were dampened much more than on the Bianchi, but not as much as the Waterford R233 steel bike I spend most of my time on. The SL2 felt like older models Tarmac only turned up to 11. Stiffer, more compliant, and lighter, 6.65 kg (14.06lbs) for the record.. I found the handling to be activated more through hip movement and less through the front end. Which for me made the bike feel a little more sluggish than the 928, I know sluggish for a bike of this caliber is relative, but it wasn't as snappy as the Bianchi. The SL2 really shined on shorter out of the saddle climbs, the big S must have infused some mountain goat DNA into the carbon layup schedule, it felt as if the bike was propelling you up the climb. I am sure some of this in attributed to the feather weight of both the frame and wheelset, but it was a joy to climb.

If you want a race bike that will still shine on those long charity rides the Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2 may just be the bike for you, but for me the choice would be the Bianchi 928 Carbon T-Cube*.

*I would have to get rid of the Mavic wheels for some nice carbon clinchers. I really believe that the wheels can drastically change the personality of a bicycle, and feel that this change would push the Bianchi closer in compliance to the SL2.

The single word that came to mind while riding the 928 was precision and the SL2 compliance. Now for me precision evokes emotion and compliance well it's a little academic. I want a bike that is going to turn me on, that has some sex appeal, and is going to excite me - The Bianchi oozes tradition and when I was on it I felt a connection not just to the bike but something bigger. The Specialized while a very nice bike doesn't give off the same aura, it comes off as mechanical in contrast to the 928 feeling organic and evolved.

So there you have it, one lowly bike mechanics view of two very impressive bikes. Really you can't go wrong with either bike, they are both nicer than any bike I personally own and will probably ever own, but if I was going to it would be a tough decision - White or Celeste?
enjoy your ride...
whatever it may be.

No comments: