Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wednesday...

Ahhhh... the feeling of dirt under 29" tread. So last night was the Wednesday Night the Races @ Crystal Ridge season kick off. The Spring trail work is finally done and the water damage form the ski hill has dried up and the trails are officially open.

About 30 people showed up for the first round last night. As usual I somehow ended up on the front row. One guy put the pedals down at the start and I got on his wheel. The start is at the
bottom of a steep gravel road followed by a few minutes of open field single track, it's best to stay at the front and enter the wooded section wide open. I fought to keep his wheel then poof he was gone as soon as we hit the trees. I guess all those road/cross bike miles made me a little slow in the tight stuff, that I haven't ridden my mountain bike since last July when I got hurt. So into the single track we went, the lead guy was gone and I was "leading" the chase group. I kept waiting for the guys to yell to get out of the way, I wasn't moving unless they asked. We hit the second climb of lap one and POP, on your left 4 times in a row. The chase group was gone and I was entering no mans land. A couple more passed and that was it I was on my own for the next 2 1/2 laps. I caught one guy then just tried to keep the pace high and find some rhythm. I think I finished somewhere towards the bottom of the top ten, not bad considering it was my first race pace effort since Cross Nationals and first MTB race since the July of last year. Results should be up in the next day or so. I felt good but didn't have it in me to keep the pace. No worries though those guys have already been racing on the WORS series and I am still building up for cross so to stay near the pointy end this early felt great.

Sorry no pictures. In the process of getting the new toy fully functional I had to update the OS on the tired old Mac and lost my iPhoto and need to find a replacement since I don't want to fork over for iLife jsut to get a photo album program. Now if these guys would play nice and let shop employees get a deal.. It looks like they pushed the availability back again, so I can dream about it some more, oh well I can't afford it without shop guy pricing anyway.

enjoy your toys..

No comments: