Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The weekend...

So I raced the 3's last weekend at the State Champs.  I needed a little "rubing is racing" time for the big boy races coming up.  The masters category up here is just too small and we all string out from the start and jsut kind of settle in.  I was looking for a little more chaos, and what better place to find it than lining up second row in the State Cat 3 race. 

Well I got what I was looking for.  I lined up right behind th
e series leader thinking he would start fast. well everyone swarmed him, I got pinched a little and tried to pass on the outside but got stuck in traffic about 5-7 wheel.  Tried to make my way up the line but the guys weren't having it. I came around on the flats but the leader was already gone.  They just let him ride away, there was never a reaction in the group no one tried to chase him content to let him go.  I guess this has been how it played out all year in the 3's.  After the split was made a group of 4  was left 2 SS and 2 of us on gears.  After trying to make something work between us and failing I uped the tempo and pulled away from the group.  I continured to chase but the damage had been done and the leader was well away.  Apparently he was met with a less than enthusastic reponse when he crossed the line and I was cheered on with "If i
t wasn't for the sandbagger you would be State Champ!"  Whatever the case he rode away, no one chased him , and I couldn't catch him, so good for him he will face the music in the 1/2's next year.  I was a little worried I would get the sandbagger label after racing Masters all season but all of the ill will was directed at the other guy, and I had a lot of "If it wasn't for ___......."  conversartions after the race from the other guys in the race.  It's all good.  I had a great time racing in Wisco this year - THANKS TO ALL THE PROMOTERS, SUPERFANS, SUPPORTERS, AND RACERS for an awesome Wisconsin Cross season!!  

One of my favorite shots from the race. Borrowed from djohnnymac thanks!


Still 5 more races on the calendar for me 4 of which pit me against Crusty.  Watch out Crusty I am feeling fast!


No comments: