Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To run or not to run...

There is a lot of talk this time of year on the subject of running and if you should or shouldn't bother. I don't like to run, in fact it is one of the reasons I stopped doing adventure races, but last year my coach had me run twice a week and WOW did it make a difference. Run-ups were no longer a problem in fact they became a strength. I could now gap or catch on any run section, the one time I had to run to the pit for a bike swap I wasn't dead when I got there and was still able to pick some people of after swapping bike (that's the point of a pit bike to stay in the race, not look good right?) So say what you like about running but if your courses feature regular run-ups it is well worth an hour of your time a week - unless you are racing Masters in Wisconsin then stay on your couch eating creme puffs. Just like riding, start with some base mile runs and gradually work in some short intervals and stair/hill climbs you will be glad you did when you are forced to run in a race.

...vary your routine and reap the benefits.

No comments: