Sunday, July 27, 2008

Super Record...

This bike was one of the bikes I really wanted to ride while at the 2009 Specialized launch. The 2009 S-Works Roubaix SL2, it just happened to be a bonus that one of two bikes available equipped with Campagnolo Super Record one was a SL2 in my size!

The new Roubaix SL2 borrows some key technologies last years Tarmac SL2 - over sized lower bearing at the headtube/fork junction, Specialized also moves the bearing upward in the frame to transfer the load directly into the downtube and allows for a smooth transition at the fork crown. This gives the Roubaix SL2 a much more precise front end. I feel that the new front end and carbon layup schedule gives the Roubaix SL2 a very much needed boost in performance. The front end is more precise and the bottom bracket is much stiffer resulting in better energy transfer to the cranks and a livelier feeling frame,while retaining its unmatched vertical compliance. That said the Roubaix is still more of a Cadillac cruiser style bike, perfect for some of this guys rides - long gravel road grinders with plenty of climbing and a few heated sign sprints. The longer wheelbase of the Roubaix gives it a very stable feeling, the flip side of that is you really need to think about setting up this bike for turns - more of a carving feeling vs. the point and shoot feeling of the Tarmac. That said the new Roubaix just may be the perfect bike for a lot of riders out there - unbelievable all day comfort with a performance pedigree that will make you ride faster than you ever thought you could!

Super Record. Well it lived up to all of my expectations! I was on the fence about the appearance/ergonomics, but refused to have an opinion until I had held it in my hand. Campagnolo nailed it on the lever shape it is obvious they thought about and looked at how cyclist ride when on the hoods. They inward sloping hook on the hood melts into your hand and feels very natural, it makes you feel like you could ride tempo at the front of the peleton all day long. Campy also redesigned the lever itself by increasing the length, providing a more ergonomic sweeping motion to the shift lever, and a nice hooked end to the brake lever that is easier to reach in the drops. The front derailleur is further refined form the previous Quick Shift version requiring even less force to shift while maintaining a very precise feel. 11 speed say what you will, but it didn't miss a shift. I didn't stop to count the cassette to see the range, I never felt out of gear climbing the pass towards Vail with a standard 53/39 up front and could tell the closer gear spacing while shifting through the flats. Do you need 11 cogs on the rear, well no you really only need one, but 11 allows for a closer ratio with quicker shifts. Everyone thought 10 speed was too much and durability would be a factor, but that hasn't really been the case, so time will tell if 11 speed will rule the road. One thing is for certain, I am waiting to see the inside of a the new levers to find out if I can put a 10 speed index ratchet in to retrofit it to my current 10 speed drivetrain - those levers RULE!


A surprise on the Roubaix SL2 was the wheelset. I didn't catch it until I was returning the bike, but it was equipped with the yet to be released ALX tubeless wheels. This is a joint project between Specialized and Campagnolo. The wheels utilize a Campy tubeless rim, Specialized spoke pattern and DT Swiss made hubs. Campy uses their magnetic inserted nipple system to keep the rim free of holes. Specilaized will be the first company to offer a complete wheel and tire that are road tubeless compatible when these hit finally hit the market. I thought I was riding a tubular wheelset the entire time of my test ride on this bike the ride was that nice. I had ridden a different Roubaix SL2 previously so I new it was the wheels and not the frame I was feeling. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they were tubeless. This was my first ride on road tubeless and it did feel like I was riding nice tubulars, handling and comfort were noticalby better than my previous ride on the same bike with standard tires. As road tubeless gains speed it will become a very viable option in the market much as MTB tubeless has once rim and tire options have caught up with the technology.

Stay tuned for some info on the new Carbon Epic...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

super record is already available?

Anonymous said...

That there is some perty stuff.

GUS