Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Buy Local...

I have dubbed July my personal "Buy Local" month. Working in a locally owned independent bike shop I have to deal with "internet shoppers" every day who make purchases online then come to me to install or fix problems with said products, which I do with a smile and a fee. When, if they had made the purchase at the shop they would get the smile free of charge. So it got me thinking about my own personal buying habits. I am not an internet shopper, but I due frequent a chain grocery store and restaurants, Target, etc. What about the little guy who passion isn't bikes but pizza, coffee, baking, selling hardware supplies, or what have you. They face similar issues to the LBS, squeezing out buy mega marts and the intraweb. So I have made the commitment to buy locally all month. I am trying to make it exclusive for the month of July. The general conception about small locally owned businesses, is they are more expensive. I am not so sure this is the case, many big box stores lure you in with loss leaders to make you think you are saving money everywhere in the store, when in fact you may not be. Sure you have to think about where you are going to shop, but that is part of the adventure to see if all of your needs can be fulfilled by a local proprietor. The misses wants some new curtain rods, where does one buy curtain rods locally?

think about where you are going and who it may effect - support your local businesses, for a day, a week, a month, it's good karma!


No comments: