Friday, June 13, 2008

Fear...

Does it motivate you or hold you back? Is it better to go out in a blaze of glory or stay comfortably conservative? How well do you really know your limits if you never exceed them?

I know for me the mental part of cycling is the toughest. I am content on most days to stay within my comfort zone and play my hand. On the rare occasion that I have crept past the line I have tasted success at the risk of utter failure. Failure haunts me. Mediocracy does not carry the glory of success, nor the pain of defeat, but it certainly isn't gratifying. Is consistency over the long term better than pushing the limits resulting in a complete implosion? Can you really improve and push yourself to new horizons without rocketing past those limits with total disregard for the outcome? I must find a way to turn off the my inner safety patrol that keeps me holding something back "for later" so that I may know what lies beyond the line and push myself to new heights.

...push the limits and enjoy the results.

No comments: