Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ahhhh...

Got some dirt under my wheels. 2 hours of singletrack fun with friends! Boy oh boy did I need it, after my lashing this past weekend...

I pinned my first number on of the year on Saturday and raced a crit. Now criterium races aren't normally my thing, but I hear they will make me faster come cross season. So I have put some on my schedule. I am not so sure about that one though because there is nothing like getting lapped in a Masters 4/5 race to make you feel good about yourself. Yep I was more than just pack fodder, I was fish food. But I didn't crash and I kept on myself to finish the race and pick some guys off at the end - good training ride right?! I was pretty down after that embarrassment, but in hindsight I didn't really commit to the race. Let's see I rode for over an hour at 10 pm the night before, I didn't really warm up unless you call rolling around chating with friends a warm-up, and my pre-race nutrition plan consisted of a power bar and some water. This weekend I am going to take the race a little more serious for my own emotional well being. Proper warm up and all.

Back to the dirt..

Drove down to the Kettles and rode most of my favorite stuff - Emma Carlin and the connector to John Muir. Oh man the connector is so much fun. I was feeling it on the way into the John Muir parking lot, Ross washed out on a climb I passed by him and gassed it all the way into the lot. On the way back I was still feeling good so I kept the pace high all the way. Nothing like the feel of dirt underneath, the sun in the sky, and the smell of pine needles to set your mind straight! I don't even mind the hundred or so mosquito bites I have today, "No thanks, I don't want any repellent!" real smart move.I am feeling refreshed, and refocused. Last week was a downer, but I have let it go and moved on thanks to my wonderful wife who let me go ride by bike on "Family Day"- THANK YOU!

...don't dwell on the past, find your Reset button and remember to use it and enjoy the ride.

No comments: