Sunday, June 29, 2008

20 Bucks...

Is a lesson learned,
A valuable tip,
A hard training ride,

A first time prime.

Kitted up and payed the man for "Roadie Race Saturday" again. Yep another Saturday and another Crit. I was feeling much better this time, road the bike over to the race, warmed up and was taking this one a little more serious. RRS started well I rolled with the lead group for a couple of laps, but after almost getting crashed out in those two laps I started to get antsy. The pace was all over the place, first fast then a little slow. Guys were weaving all over the place, I had enough. We came down an incline to a false flat and I found myself in the top ten. Well I gave it the gas to see what would happen.

As I was pedaling up the crosswind side and guys were yelling coming up on the left, I thought this is a bad idea. I am taking the wind, attacking on the third lap, and everyone knows I am coming. Oh well I took off and decided to see how long I could hold out. As it turns out it was about 3/4 of a lap. So I figured I would settle ba
ck in, recover, then play antagonist again. I got slotted in near the back of the field and wouldn't you know it a bunch of guys almost went down right in front of me, I tapped by brakes and away rode the field. Another day out in the wind by myself.

Lessoned learned - stay in the front and just play nice. If you get antsy, stay put and out of trouble.

A friend came up after the race and said - "You know if you soft pedal you can just get back in the group a lap down and continue in the race with the field" Ah crits with there own set of rules - the free lap mechanical and letting the pack catch you to ride along. Good tip, but I think I prefer the lone suffering of dangling off the back. It makes for a more effective training ride. Doesn't it?>

So an official My Wife Inc wife did her first ever road race and got the whole experience. She went for and won a prime, hung on the finish in the group, and finally, got some drama from the girl she beat out in the prime sprint after the race. Way to go Mo!!! As far as I know that was the first money earned by anyone in a MWI kit - NICE.


make it fun and enjoy the ride.

No comments: